Saturday, February 14, 2009

How to pervert the course of justice for Dummies

Detectives Hired by the McCanns want to Frame Gonçalo Amaral


A puzzle with crossed stories



Método 3, the Spanish detective agency hired by the McCanns, tried to convince Leonor Cipriano's Lawyer to change the course of defense. The agency operational wanted to make of Gonçalo Amaral - the former coordinator of the PJ of Portimão, responsible for the investigation to the disappearance of Madeleine and Joana, the main target, through the intersection of the two cases

by Pedro Coelho/SIC

The contact was made during the period in which the Spanish detectives were investigating the case of Madeleine McCann, 3 years old, disappeared from Praia da Luz, Algarve, on 3rd May 2007. The agency's operationals contacted the lawyer from Algarve, João Grade dos Santos [Leonor Cipriano former Lawyer], requesting support in the investigations. "They told me that they had contacted me because I was working on a matter which according to them, had similarities", clarifies the lawyer.

João Grade dos Santos prompted the interest of Método3 because he was officially defending Leonor Cipriano in a process where Gonçalo Amaral, was accused, by the Public Ministry, of omission to report acts of torture, performed by three other inspectors of the PJ, during the questioning to the mother of Joana Cipriano. The process, still ongoing, involves 5 members of the Judiciary Police and was opened following a complaint put forward by the director of the Odemira prison [Ana Maria Calado].

In February 2005, the Expresso newspaper published [article written by the actual Lawyer's bar Marinho Pinto] a series of photos of Leonor Cipriano, where the prison inmate appears with her eyes and face bruised. The bruises denounced the existence of an aggression.

Joana's mother, the eight year old girl, who disappeared in 2004 from the village of Figueira in the Algarve, was sentenced to 16 years in prison for the death and concealment of the corpse of her daughter.

In the contact made with João Grade dos Santos, the detectives of Método 3 spoke specifically of Gonçalo Amaral: "Obviously they had to speak about him: he was the inspector most talked about at that moment - mocked the lawyer - after all he was at the investigation of the two cases", he concludes. In their approach, the detectives emphasised the advantages of the proposal, "They told me that money for expenses was not a problem", stressed the lawyer.

Leonor Cipriano was defended by João Grade of Santos during all the inquest period but, on the eve of the start of the trial, the client waived the lawyer's services.

Months after having refused the proposal for collaboration with Metodo 3, João Grade dos Santos was replaced by Marcos Aragão Correia, a young lawyer with offices in Madeira [Portuguese Island]. From him it was a known a quick, but symbolic, passage through the continent: Aragão Correia participated in the searches for Madeleine, as a medium [psychic]. The lawyer had visions of the girl's corpse in the dam of the river Arade, in Silves. "The Judiciary Police - recognizes Aragão - completely dismissed these evidences, though I was a lawyer, while the Método 3 was very interested", he adds.

But the interest of the agency would focus in another objective: the detectives needed a lawyer who would assume the intersection of the Joana and Maddie cases.

Aragão Correia accepted what Grade dos Santos had refused: "The detectives met with me and told me: 'We are very concerned because there is an element common to both cases: Gonçalo Amaral, who is not interested in looking for children, he is only interested on incriminating the parents. It happened in Maddie’s case and also in Joana’s case.' Método 3 asked me to get involved in the case, they didn’t ask me to be Leonor’s lawyer, they asked me to make a few investigations as a lawyer."

Marcos Aragão Correia has accepted the challenge and, when he consulted the Joana case, he identified himself immediately, with the Spanish detectives theory. "I was outraged - he recalls - I thought that Mr. Gonçalo Amaral had a hidden interest for systematically accusing the mothers without evidences against them."

Following the interest expressed with the case, Marcos Aragão Correia visited Leonor Cipriano at the Odemira prison from where he ended up close to becoming the substitute of João Grade dos Santos: "It was Leonor who asked me. She told me that no one had ever defended her like that. After much reflection I decided to accept, and I informed Dr.João Grade dos Santos of Leonor’s decision".

As soon as Marcos Aragão Correia assumed the defense of Leonor Cipriano, the proceedings, relative to the Faro’s trial against the five PJ inspectors, changed it's course. He assumes that change himself: "The biggest nightmare of Gonçalo Amaral was when I entered in the case", he alerts.

Paulo Pereira Cristovão, a former PJ inspector and one of the 5 arguidos of Faro accuses Marcos Aragão Correia of trying to make a 'deal' with the defendants."And that deal was: all of you incriminate Gonçalo Amaral and I’ll arrange so that Leonor Cipriano says that you have nothing to do with this – well, deals like this, only in Hollywood", ironizes Pereira Cristovão.

Marcos Aragão Correia does not deny the existence of such a deal, he even alleges that the deal was related with a "confidence made by one of the arguidos" that had reached his ears. "That defendant send an e-mail to a friend of mine where he pointed Gonçalo Amaral as being guilty", denounces the lawyer.

Marcos Aragão Correia confesses that the negative opinion about the way that Gonçalo Amaral investigated the cases of Maddie and Joana, is not shared alone with the Método 3, hired by the McCann couple. The lawyer feeds the enigma: "If I am taking sides for one of the parties, it is obvious that that side is giving me moral support".

Aragão Correia does not clarify who is in fact behind this puzzle: "The secrecy of the contract which bounds me to Método 3 stops me from revealing details regarding the private investigation", concludes.

Contacted by the SIC, Método 3 decided not to give any statements. Nevertheless the McCann family spokesman alleges that the family does not comment issues that they consider to be negative.


24 comments:

helmylin2 said...

Hi Cláudia,

"the detectives needed a lawyer who would assume the intersection of the Joana and Maddie cases."

"Paulo Pereira Cristovão, a former PJ inspector and one of the 5 arguidos of Faro accuses Marcos Aragão Correia of trying to make a 'deal' with the defendants."And that deal was: all of you incriminate Gonçalo Amaral and I’ll arrange so that Leonor Cipriano says that you have nothing to do with this – well, deals like this, only in Hollywood", ironizes Pereira Cristovão."

Now why I ask myself would "someone" want to incriminate Mr.Gonçalo Amaral? ( I'm having a problem here trying to word this clearly) The only things I can come up with are that they are trying to show he is crooked or incompent. He is definately not either in my eyes. Somehow I think that I can see the fine hand of the McCann's muddying the water. Sorry not very clear here.

Luv,
L. xxx

helmylin2 said...

Hi Cláudia,

How strange your whole blog has just come up in English. silly me I just sat here trying to translate it . When the whole thing was already in English. ;-)

xxx L.

Cláudia said...

Hi, Helmy!
Weel, who would benefit by trying to incriminate Mr Amaral? Certainly not innocent people, don't you think? Innocent people have nothing to fear because they know they did nothing wrong.
Metodo 3 were hired by the McCanns, right? Well, it makes you wonder, doesn't it? ;-)
Beijinhos.
xxxx

Cláudia said...

P.S: I changed the settings. Since it is written in English, I decided to change the settings to English either.
I'm thinking about making some changes to this blog.
xxxx

helmylin2 said...

Hi Cláudia,

I hope you don't change the blog to much. I'm a Virgo and we don't like change.

L.

xxx

Cláudia said...

Hi, Helmy.
If I change it, it won't be too much. If I do it, it will be just to make it more a place for discussion.
xxxx

helmylin2 said...

Hi,

Oh good, I think that would be good.

Not nice weather here. Rainy and 6 degrees C. here. Much rather have the cold crisp days.

xxx

Cláudia said...

Hi, Helmy!
Haven't decided anything yet. Just thinking about it. But it is a possibility.
It's sunny and around 14ºC here. It doesn't feel like winter anymore!
xxxx

Zodiac said...

Hi Claudia,

Well I wonder if this was the reason for the return to Portugal recently? Especially as neither of them returned for the 1st Anniversary of their missing child!

Cláudia said...

Hi, Zodiac. Possibly. Maybe we will now why else, soon.
Hope you're ok!
xxxx

dylan said...

Hi Claudia and all :-)

Just popped in and I see I have a lot of catching-up to do! I will make it my mission over the next few days.

Zodiac - lovely to see you here. I have some photos from Valentine's to upload from my phone so I will send them your way and to Claudia too.

I am off to watch some tv now. Tired and still recovering from last night but I just wanted to say hello! Take care all. xxx

Pericles Pinto said...

This post says that "The lawyer had visions of the girl's corpse in the dam of the river Arade, in Silves".

Once again, the searches conducted by Marcos Aragão were made in the Barragem da Bravura (Bravura Dam) located aprox. 15 minutes from Lagos (not like Silves, more than one hour away!).

Cláudia, I pointed this out before. How could you repeat this mistake? I thought you above all would be more careful about the facts.

Yes, a lot of newspapers talked about the searches in Barragem do Arade, near Silves, but this only means that they probably bought the story to the same source.

One more thing; as far as I can remember, Marcos said he had "an anonymous tip" on the location of the body, not visions. Once again, some media said he participated on the searches as a medium (!) but I don't really buy that.
This has no credibility at all coming from people that talk about searches in Silves.

The man is certainly not the lawyer I would have defending me on a case but once thing is for sure... Barragem da Bravura was a logic place to conduct searches, but not around the place as PJ did!

Now, it's too late. If the body was hidden there, most probably it has been rescued and taken back to the UK by now.

Cláudia said...

Hi, Dylan!
Great to read you!
I'll love to see the photos.
Hope you're feeling ok.
xxxx

Cláudia said...

Hi, Péricles.
Two things:
1 - Neither me nor Joana produce news. We (mostly her) translate them. If an article says 'Silves', than the translation will be 'Silves'. That is what translators do. They translate, they don't change what they are supposed to translate. An infoirmed man like yourself should know that.
2 - Marcos Aragão Correia DID say he had visions. I still have the interview in a newspaper somewhere to prove it. In fact, I bought the paper and shared it with friends of mine. He laughed our arses off reading it. He had two versions of the thing. Firstly he said he had had a tip from someone from the underworld. Later he stated it was visions but he was scared of what people would think of him (a bit too late for that).
As for your theory, which we have discussed before, I respect it, but I don't share it.

Zodiac said...

Hi Claudia,

I'm hoping to hear about the documentary (mentioned on 3 A's)being shown I think tonight in Portugal.

Dylan,

Looking forward to seeing the Valentine pics.

BBFN

Cláudia said...

Hi, Zodiac. We're discussing it right now on the 3 As. There is a new thread there: 'Sic's documentary - Joana & Maddie Crossed Paths.
Love, C.
xxxx

mandarinn said...

Hi Claudia
I saw the SIC documentary , and for the first time i saw a well done one (IMHO) not biased to in some way to protect MCnns.
IMO MAC in all the interview gave material to burn herself . Who he think he can mislead with his plain speech...such.. . there 2 cases with a comum point.. GA (!!!he was the inspector on place...)and.. GA sistematically accuse mothers without support ...
Can you speak about 2 cases as a systeme?etc....
TO HELMY
I like your dog's new look, withe and black, very fashion :)

bjs

Cláudia said...

Hi, Mandarinn!
I've seen it too and I couldn't avoid laughing my ass off. The vision man is such a nutter he isn't even aware of how much a nutter he is. I bet that are people permanently living in Júlio de Matos which are in a far better state than he is. Sometimes I feel bad for him and I almost pitty the man. But then he opens his mouth and I think to myself that whatever he gets is well deserved.
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hiya Claudia and all,

I have just followed a link to a video of Kate and Gerry discussing on TV as to the comment Madeleine supposedly made regarding herself and Sean crying the night before that fateful evening.

What I find interesting, especially following Viv's post on interview psychology, is that Kate mentions Maddie in the present tense. Ie. "Madeleine knows that I love her". If you follow the line of reasoning that suspects slip-up on tense (Maddie KNEW THAT I LOVED HER), it would seem that Kate sees Maddie as alive. However, saying that, it could well have been rehearsed in hindsight. If you look at Gerry and listen to what Gerry says, he covers his mouth (a sign of dishonesty) and looks shifty, whereas Kate looks genuinely distraught.

Any thoughts? Link:
http://www.the3arguidos.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28736&p=861011#p861011

Dylan xx

Cláudia said...

Hi, Dylan!
I agree.
First of all, I have to say that I think that there is very little 'normal' about those two. However, although they sometimes screw things up when they open their mouths, I think that they aren't stupid enough to refer to Madeleine in the past tense. Another thing I find very telling is how seldom they spoke directly to Madeleine who, had she been abducted, could very well be watching. In fact, I think that was the only time they 'spoke' to her and they had to be asked to do it. I believe that at least in the first few days, Kate looked like someone in mourning. However, her capacity to overcome that fase (remember the photos just nine days after the tragedy) was surprising, to say the least.
Great to read you, Dylan.
xxxx

helmylin2 said...

Hi Manderinn,

Charlie says thank you. That is a big clump of snow on his nose. He looked so cute. He just loves the snow.

xxx

Cláudia said...

Hi, Helmy!
So do I! :-)
xxxx

dylan said...

Hi Claudia & all,

Sorry I haven't sent those pics yet. It is half term here and I've been busy and am off swimming in a bit with littlun and my friend.

I agree with what you say about Kate appearing to be in mourning. I have always thought that they both were, but it's not something they have done or said specifically that I can put my finger on, but rather, just a gut feeling.

I also think that Kate was genuinely shocked when she found M missing. I think that she knew that she would be gone, but wasn't ready to have it finalised and so her cries of grief were genuine, but not because she thought she had been abducted, but because she had to accept that Maddie was lost forever. :(

I followed the discussion on 3as about the "they've taken her", and even though it could just be a Liverpudlian idiom, most posters agree that the "they've" can only mean that she knew who had taken her and IMO, she wasn't taken alive.

Have a good day

xx

Cláudia said...

Hi, Dylan! Good morning!
It's ok. But I'm expecting them! :-)
I pretty much think along those lines too. However, what makes me speechless is how easily they apparently got over it. Those pictures just nine days after Madeleine went missing, always leave me gobsmacked. I can see those pictures a thousand times and I will be shocked a thousand times.
The 'they've taken her' thing is a detail, for me. It's the rest of their behaviour which I find unbelievable. However, I can't hide that it is another one of the many weird details.
Have fun, Dylan!
xxxx